Leadership which leads tasks after making discussion and taking significant decision from subordinates is called democratic leadership.
A democratic leader gives orders to subordinates, makes orders proper understood, admit opportunities to ask and provide answers of those questions. Such leadership consults with workers, employees, subordinates to make any decision. After all, the atmosphere remains democratic.
Koontz and Weihrich sated about democratic leadership, “The democratic leader consult with subordinates on proposed actions and decisions and encourages participation from them.”From the above discussion and some definitions of democratic leadership, We get that such leadership contains below conceptions :-
J.L. Massie also quoted, “Democratic leaders depend not only on their own capabilities but encourages consultation with subordinates.”
Bateman and Zeithaml said, “Democratic leader solicit input from their subordinates.”
* Democratic leadership directs after making proper discussion with subordinates where the opinions of subordinates reserve higher value to the leader.
* Leader collects information from workers.
* Leader orders and makes the given order clear to subordinates.
* If anyone wants to know reasonable reasons from the democratic leader, The leader illustrates the matter.
* Such leader does not depend fully on his power and abilities.
* The democratic leader explains to his subordinates and believes also illustration of subordinates.
Democratic leadership also provides mass benefits. Some of those remarkable advantages of democratic leadership have been quoted below :-
* Under such leadership, workers work based on self-interest. Because, They get inspiration to works to be done.
* Such leadership can make all things understood. For this reason, the quality of work also becomes good.
* All subordinates become attentive. Because, They provide their opinions to make decision. Such participation of employees to making decision encourages and inspires to work attentively.
* The morale of subordinates increases and production becomes standard and more.
* Direction and controlling becomes easy.
* Wastage of time and money decreases.
There are some disadvantages of democratic leadership also noticeable. Some of those remarkable disadvantages of democratic leadership have been quoted below :-
* Working according to self-intension may increase.
* Subordinates think that manager has weakness to make smooth operation of management functions.
* The another disadvantages of democratic leadership is It takes much time and money. Because, discussion with everyone spends much money and time.
* The organization may feel the lack of proper discipline.
At the bottom point, We can conclude that democratic leadership is a modern leadership system. Although there are some limitations of such leadership but the advantages of democratic leadership are more than the limitations. Consequently, if it can be applied with proper caution, democratic leadership is acknowledged as a good management process.